Tuesday, April 29, 2008

family phrases

I've noticed lately that there are certain words and phrases that are unique to our family dictionary. Words that you would not find in Webster's dictionary. For example, the word ninky-pumper. This is a noun and it means a person who is acting in a very silly manner. Caleb is a ninky-pumper when he forgets to put underwear on under his clothes. Jonah is a ninky-pumper when he runs around yelling "like a girl." Parents are not often, if ever ninky-pumpers.
We also have a couple of phrases we like. Chill your monkey means calm down, relax, be patient. And the phrase cork your noodle means to be quiet, to stop speaking, to hush.

I'm not exactly sure how theses phrases came into existence, but I think they were initially used as alternatives to words and phrases we did not what to use around the kids. Words like stupid and shut-up. How they came into existence doesn't matter. I'm just glad that they did because I really enjoy using them. And they are catchy. My nephews have incorporated them into their own vocabularies. Who knows... you might use them one day yourself.

There are more phrases which I will share at a later time. Feel free to share your own!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great phrases to use! We may borrow some!