Saturday, April 12, 2008

Choices

I have come to the realization that so much of my attitude depends on the choices I make. When faced with a situation I can choose to get upset or I can choose to just accept. Mike went to play golf this afternoon with some colleagues, and instead of sitting around the house, the boys and I headed off to the zoo.

The weather here was perfect, and we weren't the only ones who had noticed. The zoo was packed out! I almost decided to skip it, but instead I made the choice to go in and just enjoy the time with my boys. I'm so glad I did. We had a fabulous time. I went in with no agenda, no time that we had to leave, no anything. I let Caleb & Jonah decide where to go and how long to stay at each exhibit. It was so peaceful, and I found myself relaxing. Even as I write that last sentence, I can't believe it. The zoo has never been a relaxing place for me. But today it was, and I know that it has everything to do with the choice I made at the beginning of the outing. The choice to
enjoy the time.

I realize now that me taking them to the zoo near the end of the day could have really been a disaster had I not made the choice to enjoy it. I thought of other times when my response has not been a good one because I made the choice to let my anger determine my reaction to a particular situation. I thank God that today he gave me the grace to make the right choice. And that he gave us such a beautiful day together!

No comments: