Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Jamaica

Mike and I are in Jamaica this week. Kind of a second honeymoon for us, and we have had some very interesting experiences here. There is a lot to tell, but today I will share just one experience that we have had. Yesterday we went on a very interesting excursion. We hired a taxi to take us to Negril. It is a place that has 7 miles of the prettiest beaches in the world. However, the enjoyment of the beaches comes at a cost. The drive was an hour and a half of extremely fast, reckless, and curvy driving. The drivers here get very close to one another and passing in this country feels like a death wish. I felt like we were being held hostage in this van being dragged through a poverty ridden country.
And although the beach was beautiful, you couldn't walk 2 steps without someone asking if you wanted some pot or drugs. Once we left the beach (we stayed for less than 45 mins!) we headed to this place called Rick's Cafe. They had cliff divers here. These guys were amazing. They climbed up this really old, dead looking tree and then back flipped, front flipped or just dove into the water some 100 ft. below them. It was heart stopping. Our trip home was a bit worse because it was mostly in the dark! We were so happy to be back at the hotel! We immediately got in the hot tub and tired to shake off the experience. Our upcoming excursions are much closer and should prove to be much more fun!
The experience was one I will never forget. It was so very interesting to see how these people lived. Houses made out of concrete bricks or metal siding, so many people loitering everywhere, and seemingly no regard for other motorist when driving. It really makes me grateful for what we have: a beautiful house, wonderful friends and family, and street laws that are obeyed. More from Jamaica later...

3 comments:

beckyviz said...

I love Jamaica! I went there with my brother when we were in college. You are absolutely right about the drugs thing. My brother and another friend both dove off that cliff you spoke of. It was fun to watch, but I was too chicken to do it myself!

beckyviz said...

Oh, and how many people have asked you if they can braid your hair? That's almost as annoying as the druggies.

Heather Raven said...

Oh yes!!! My dad and mom went (with 2 of my aunt's and their husbands) to jamaica when I was in high school. I seem to remember my one Uncle who is very funny commenting "Who do you think we are the brady bunch?" Priceless. Also, they too went on the same van ride you talked about. My Uncle made another comment about having sat in every seat in the car. One last thing, I sure hope your Mama doesn't read this until you get safely home to your boys.
We love you and are praying for you,
Heather