Friday, May 23, 2008

prayer


I have been reading this book series lately in which one or more of the characters struggles with issues of faith. At first I would skim over the areas that talked about what it means to have a personal relationship with Christ, assuming that I already had one and I didn't need to read about it. But then, on the latest book I read, I decided not to skim. Instead, I choose to really read it and try to grow from the authors perspective of faith.

As I read I had an overwhelming sense of inadequacy. It did not make me doubt my belief in God or my relationship with Jesus. I know what I believe. I know that Jesus is the son of God, the savior of the world. But it challenged me. The message in the book was: "What are you doing with your faith?" This is where I got convicted. How was I putting my faith into action on a daily basis?

It is not enough for me to go to church on Sunday and call myself a Christian. There must be more to it than that. And as I searched and struggled with trying to understand why this book could effect me so deeply, I started to pray. And for me, that was the answer: prayer.
This book convicted me because my every day prayer life was not nearly what it needed to be. For me to stay connected to Christ, not just on Sundays, but every minute of every day, I have to commit to prayer. I have to commit to do my very best to turn everything I do into a prayer. There is a scripture verse that says, "pray without ceasing." This is my new goal. To make every thing I do throughout my day a prayer.

I may never achieve this. But I will try. And I am hopeful. I am hopeful that Christ will take my efforts and turn them into something beautiful for him. That is, after all, or goal here on earth. To glorify God.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sarah,

You show great maturity for your years. I am very proud of you. Keep listening to your heart and you will continue to grow closer to our Lord Jesus. Our day IS a prayer to the Lord. But HE does want that special time and it is during that time when he will speak to us and we will grow even closer to his will for us. Don't stop living your day as a prayer, IT IS your witness to others and Jesus is truly blessed by both your walk and that of Mike and your family. I love reading your blog, it is very reassuring to me and blesses me greatly. I love you,


Dad